Thursday, January 17, 2013

EXPERIMENTATION

Loading us onto trucks, they haul us from the camps. They strap Marie and I to metal beds after they strip us naked. Lights blind us as the German doctors ready for the experiments.
I reach to hold her hand, but she is too far away. She looks to me, her sight melted away from the several chemical injections.
A doctor takes his knife to my skin. They give me nothing for pain, yet they start to hollow me out. During the anguish I watch for seconds at a time. They remove large portions from inside my pelvis.
When they are done they scoop my insides into a bucket, and sew my stomach up.
After the operation she whispers.
"They will pay." She nods slowly, and then turns away from me. I am sure she could see me just then.
That night a fire starts in the laboratory. Marie has not left my side, but I am sure it was her who started it.
Weak from surgery, I cannot run. We sit and wait until the fire eats around our cell.
In the morning we are unscathed, and find ourselves free from the roar of barbed wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment